By Dwell Grief Ministry Staff
Starting Wednesday, January 11th, 2023, the Dwell Grief Ministry will offer a 10-week workshop called “Navigating Your Grief” at the Dwell Office Auditorium, from 7:00-8:30 pm. Please encourage anyone in your home group or friend group who has experienced the death of a friend or family member to attend.
Each year about 2.5 million people die in the United States, each leaving an average of five grieving people behind. Most of those grieving are unprepared for the intensity and duration of their grief. Many feel alienated from God and others. Many worry that they aren’t grieving the “correct” way.
The Dwell Grief Ministry is committed to supporting, educating, and equipping individuals who are grieving the death of a loved one.
Although the loss of a loved one is one of life's most stressful events, many people underestimate the impact of grief. While everyone reacts differently to death, it’s normal to feel like you are on a rollercoaster of conflicting emotions. The death of a loved one affects you in many areas including:
- Physically: fatigue, headaches, muscle aches, nausea.
- Emotionally: sadness, anger, frustration, despair, guilt, regret.
- Mentally: decreased concentration, confusion, forgetfulness.
- Spiritually: doubt, apathy, anger toward God, lack of trust.
- Behaviorally: crying, isolation, panic, repression.
Unresolved grief can cloud perspectives, cause depression, and result in unhealthy lifestyles and destructive behavior.
How can attending Navigating Your Grief help?
Whether your loss is recent or in the remote past, this workshop can be beneficial to your understanding of grief and mourning. This workshop will help you:
- better understand of the effects of grief on your life,
- receive support and comfort from interacting with others in grief,
- develop a clearer theology on pain and suffering, and
- identify ways to use your experience to minister to others.
What happens at Navigating Your Grief?
Each meeting lasts no more than 90 minutes. At a typical meeting:
- a past grief group member is interviewed regarding their grief experience.
- a 20 to 25 minute video is shown, addressing pertinent grief topics.
- small groups are formed to discuss the video (but no one is required to speak).
Do you have to attend all 10 sessions?
While it’s ideal to attend all 10 sessions, each session is designed to be “self-contained,” meaning a person can attend at any time. Participants will find comfort, encouragement, and hope in every session.
Is Navigating Your Grief appropriate for non-Christians?
If someone is hostile towards the idea of God, then this workshop probably would not be appropriate. However, if someone is open to spiritual discussions, Navigating Your Grief can help them move forward on their spiritual path. Each session discusses Biblical principles and the gospel message is explained in a meaningful way.
How do I register?
You can register online at the Dwell class page (https://member.dwellcc.org/classes). The cost is $20 standard and $10 reduced which covers the cost of the workbook. Scholarships are available.
For more info, email email@example.com.