This outline is condensed from Watchman Nee, Love Not the World.
- Different meanings for Kosmos
- The physical globe of earth.
- The race of man alienated from God (Hebrews 11:38; John 14:17; John 15:18)
- The underlying qualities which animate the world. - 1 Corinthians 2:12 - the spirit of the world; 1 Corinthians 3:19 - the wisdom of the world; 1 Corinthians 7:31 - the way of the world; Titus 2:12 - the lusts of the world; 2 Peter 1:4 - the corruption that is in the world; 2 Peter 2:20 - the defilement of the world; 1 John 2:15 - the things that are in the world
- The hostility of the world system toward God and Christ
- 1 Corinthians 1:21 - the world knew not God
- John 7:7 - the world's works are evil
- John 14:17 - the world cannot receive the spirit
- John 15:18 - the world hated Christ
- Christ says
- John 18:36 - My kingdom is not of this Kosmos
- John 16:33 - I have overcome the world
- John 12:31 Now is the judgement of this Kosmos
- In addition
- James 4:4*- Friendship with the world is enmity with God
- 1 John 2:15*- If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
- 1 John 5:4 - our faith overcomes the world
- Christ says
- This is because there is a mind behind the system.
- John 12:31; Jn. 14:30; Jn. 16:11 - the ruler of this world
- 2 Corinthians 4:4 - the god of this world (the term here is not Kosmos, but ho seon houtos which is a synonym but contmeplates the world system from the aspect of time, or age, rather than space as does Kosmos. See also Romans 12:2 and #6).
- Ephesians 2:2 - the prince of the power of the air
- 1 Corinthians 2:8 - the demons are the rulers of this age or this world
- Ephesians 6:12 - the demons are the world rulers (Kosmoskraters) of this darkness
- 1 John 5:19*- the whole world lies in the power of the evil one
- The believer is not to withdraw from the world system.
- John 17:15, 16
- 1 Corinthians 5:9,10
- Philippians 2:15
- Matthew 5:13-16
- John 16:33